Deadline extended: Monday, 6 June, 2022
IVAR works with charities, foundations and public agencies to strengthen communities across the UK through action research. The role we play varies but we are always guided by our action research principles: problem-solving, collaborating, being practical and useful. The kinds of projects we have worked on include:
- Bringing together a community of youth volunteer coordinators
- Researching what it takes to get tech working in small charities
- Facilitating a network of funders committed to confidence and respect
- Evaluating change programmes to support people with all their needs
IVAR is committed to evolving and adapting to maximise our relevance and usefulness and we are delivering our strategy to 2025 to be ‘the best IVAR that we can be’. Our goals include delivering on equity, diversity and inclusion, being a movement for change, and increasing our usefulness to the sector. So, it’s an exciting time to join IVAR as a trustee.
Being a trustee at IVAR
As a member of the Board of Trustees you will be responsible for setting IVAR’s strategic goals, priorities and direction. With the support of the staff team and professional advisors, trustees are expected to:
- Set and maintain the strategy and values
- Ensure that IVAR is legally compliant and accountable
- Have responsibility for the financial oversight of the organisation
- Support the operational management of the charity
The Board is looking to appoint up to three trustees. We are encouraging a wide range of people to come forward: your background, life and work, approach and values are important and we hope that you will bring:
- An affinity with IVAR’s charitable objects and priorities
- Emotional intelligence, by which we mean the ability to show empathy for different perspectives, experiences and contributions
- Exceptional listening skills
- An appetite to speak your mind, within a culture where this is supported and encouraged
While we welcome applications from all, based on a recent audit of our current Board we are particularly hoping to find people with one or more of the following:
- Experience in a leadership role of a charity or social enterprise
- Strong networks in the voluntary sector
- Deep roots in voluntary sector research
- Expertise in campaigning – to inform how we communicate about our work
If you feel that we are describing you in the above, then we’d love to hear from you.
How to apply
First, download the IVAR Trustee application pack, which will give you more information about IVAR and being a Trustee.
If you would like an initial, informal conversation about being a trustee at IVAR, please contact Allyson Davies, who is working with us to appoint new trustees, at IVAR@allysondavies-consultant.com or call 020 7828 3855 or 07968 556 164.
To express an interest in becoming a trustee, send your CV and a covering letter (as a Word/PDF attachment, max two sides A4) explaining why you are applying, how you meet the person specification, and what in particular you would bring to IVAR. The covering letter should be addressed to Sam Brier, IVAR’s Chair. Please also complete this Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form.
Please email the three documents to Allyson Davies at IVAR@allysondavies-consultant.com before 10am on Monday, 6 June, 2022.
We value, welcome and respect all the differences that make us who we are, including: age, cultural background, disability and mental health, ethnicity and race, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, and social background.